What is the Neuroscience area of emphasis?
The Psychology major with a Neuroscience area of emphasis combines a strong foundation in basic life sciences with more specialized coursework in psychology and biology to examine cognitive, behavioral, and brain functions. Neuroscience is an interdisciplinary area of research that focuses on the entire nervous system and involves various aspects of neurobiology, cognitive psychology, and neurophysiology.
I’m pursuing the Neuroscience area of emphasis. Which sciences do I need for that?
We typically recommend BIOL 1107+lab, BIOL 1108+lab, CHEM 1211+lab, and CHEM 1212+lab because they might be required for graduate school programs. In addition, they are prerequisites for some other courses required for the area of emphasis. Be sure to check with your advisor for recommendations tailored to your interests. (Also check admissions requirements for the institutions you plan to apply to for graduate school.) Please review this list of courses for Neuroscience and let your advisor know if you have any questions.
How is the Neuroscience emphasis different than the Psychology major without Neuroscience?
- Two Group A (Biological-focused courses) required
- Only one Group B (Social-focused course) required
- No Psychology Elective required but instead three upper level science courses are required for electives (see list of courses for Neuroscience for options)
- No additional physical science with a lab for the Psychology major required -- only a Core physical science
For full details be sure to talk with your academic advisor.
Where can I learn more about the requirements?
- Please see the UGA Bulletin to learn more about the requirements for the Psychology major with the Neuroscience Area of Emphasis. Requirements for Neuroscience are located at the bottom of the page.
- Follow these instructions to do a “What If” in DegreeWorks to see what your degree requirements would look like if you added the Neuroscience Emphasis.
- Click on “What If” in the far-left column (located under “Audits”)
- Leave “Level” as UNDERGRADUATE; leave “Degree” as BS-Psychology.
- Choose the latest “Catalog Term” from the drop-down list.
- For “College” pick College of Arts and Sciences.
- For “Major” pick Psychology.
- For “Area of Emphasis” pick Biology or Psychology – Neuroscience.
- Click the grey button“Process What-If” near the top.
- Then scroll down to “Major: Psychology – Neuroscience AoE” to see requirements.
- If you have additional questions thereafter you can email the Psychology with Neuroscience Academic Advisor, Amanda Linzy, for more information.